Split This Rock Administrative Assistant Job Description
(Part-Time, Temporary Paid Position)
NEED AN ACCESSIBLE VERSION OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION, CLICK HERE FOR A WORD DOCUMENT.
APPLICATIONS BEING ACCEPTED UNTIL 10AM ON TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19
Split This Rock is a non-profit organization that brings poetry to the center of public life and fosters a national network of socially engaged poets. Founded in 2008, Split This Rock cultivates, teaches, and celebrates poetry that bears witness to injustice and provokes social change. From our home in the nation's capital we celebrate poetic diversity and the transformative power of the imagination. All of Split This Rock's programs are designed to integrate poetry of provocation and witness into public life and to support the poets who write and perform this critical work.
Our cornerstone program is a biennial national festival celebrating poetry and activism, held in Washington, DC. The next festival, our sixth, will take place April 19-21, 2018, coinciding with the 10th anniversary of Split This Rock. Over the course of the three days writers and activists from all over the country will gather to participate in panel discussions, workshops, and group readings. Each night brings featured readings by some of the country’s most essential voices. Featuring at the 2018 festival thus far, with more to come, are Elizabeth Acevedo, Kwame Dawes, Solmaz Sharif, and Sonia Sanchez.
We also sponsor a robust youth program, an online social justice poetry database, social justice campaigns, readings, workshops, and year-round local and national programming at the intersection of poetry and social change. We’re a small but passionate staff housed at the Institute for Policy Studies, the nation’s oldest progressive think tank.
The Administrative Assistant is a short-term hourly position that provides financial and logistical support for Split This Rock and its programming. This position works closely with the Executive and Managing Directors, as well as the Youth Programs Coordinator.
This position works in collaboration with Split This Rock staff to cover the following responsibilities:
- Manage financial systems – including updating and tracking income and expenditures in a financial spreadsheet, depositing income in the bank, writing checks, processing invoices, and ensuring adequate procedures are in place to ensure confidentiality and accuracy
- Process donations and send thank you letters using GiftWorks donor tracking software
- Enter and maintain donor profiles in GiftWorks
- Handle logistics for year-end fundraising mailing
- Ensure proper filing of financial paperwork
- Ensure proper documentation of finances
- Act as liaison to Split This Rock’s bookkeeper
- Act as liaison to Split This Rock’s health insurance broker
- Assist with tax preparation and filing
- Support Executive Director in preparing grant reports by compiling the necessary data throughout the year
- Manage calendar of deadlines for submission of grant proposals and grant reports
- Assist with coordination of logistics for fundraising events
Meeting and Event Support
- Coordinate the scheduling of meetings and room reservations for Board and other group/committee meetings
- Prepare and pack materials and supplies prior to events and meetings
- Put up materials and supplies after events and meetings
- Assist with set up and management of event registration processes
- Request and secure materials, such as bio, photo, and poems, from featured poets for Sunday Kind of Love reading and Open Mic, facilitators for bi-monthly writing workshop series, and others as needed
- Serve as liaison to Busboys and Poets to ensure Sunday Kind of Love featured poets are included on their website, Eventbrite pages are updated, and books are ordered to be available for sale each month
- Oversee logistics related to annual poetry contest, including communication with submitters and selections committee
- Other support as needed
Volunteer and Intern Support
- Serve as the first contact for internship applicants by responding to emails, saving applications to the server, communicating with applicants to schedule interviews, providing orientations to interns
- Ensure internship job descriptions are updated
- Assist in publicizing internship positions by posting them to local college/university job and work study sites, emailing them to various contacts, posting them to Split This Rock’s website, etc.
- Assist with supervision of interns and volunteers, as needed
- Aid in submitting necessary paperwork related to intern/volunteer positions
- Keep office files in order and assist with filing
- Maintain the poetry library
- Maintain public and internal Split This Rock calendars, ensuring all necessary information is posted correctly
- In coordination with Communications and Outreach Fellow, keep website up-to-date
- Take notes at meetings, as needed
- Place orders for supplies, as needed
- Request review copies of books
- Respond to email inquiries and phone calls in a timely manner
- Support Split This Rock’s accessibility efforts
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will be driven, adaptable, and believe deeply in our organization’s mission. Additionally, the successful candidate will possess the following:
- A commitment to social justice and the role that the arts can play in social change
- Interest in and knowledge of contemporary American poetry
- Experience in financial management and database work
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Extremely organized with excellent attention to detail and follow through
- Comfortable juggling multiple time-sensitive tasks
- Able to manage several projects on self-determined scheduled
- Grant management skills and experience in development a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong intercultural understanding and comfort working in culturally diverse settings
- Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, GiftWorks, Submittable, and ConstantContact preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- At least 2 years of experience in an administrative role preferred.
Split This Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from people of color, women, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, and other groups that have historically been subject to discrimination.
Projected Start Date, Salary, and Hours
This is a 9-month position, projected to begin October 1, 2017 or sooner and ending in June 2018. It comes with a salary of $15 per hour. Responsibilities require a commitment of approximately 20 hours per week with a flexible schedule. Additional hours likely needed leading up to Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness (April 19-21) and selected candidate would be needed on-site at the festival each day. Orientation for this position tentatively scheduled for 10-20 hours between September 25 and 28.
How to Apply
Please send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in Split This Rock and why you would be a good fit for this position, a brief prose writing sample (no more than two pages, no poetry please), and a list of 3 references via email with the subject “Administrative Assistant Position” to Camisha Jones at email@example.com by 10 am on September 19. No calls please.
We look forward to hearing from you!