Volunteer at Split This Rock Poetry Festival!
Be a part of DC's premiere poetry event and the only festival of its kind in the country, highlighting poets working at the intersection of the imagination and social change!
Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness 2016 will gather poets, activists, and dreamers in DC for four days of readings, workshops, discussions, youth services & activism -- and YOU CAN BE AT THE HEART OF IT ALL! We are in need of people to fill leadership roles and to help with tasks immediately prior to and during the festival (see below).
We are looking for interns to volunteer 10-15 hours per week at our office to fill the following festival leadership roles:
- Registration Assistant: Support the festival registration process. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
- Volunteer Coordinator: Recruit, manage, and coordinate festival volunteers. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
- Marketing Manager: Oversee festival publicity & social media outreach. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
- Venue Manager: Work with festival venues to prepare for the festival. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
- Special Events Manager: Coordinate call to action event, open mics, festival party, and book fair. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
- Fundraising Intern: Support sponsorship & fundraising efforts. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document here.
While all internships are unpaid, all interns receive:
- Free festival registration!
- Free festival t-shirt!
- Priceless work experience!
- Exposure to some of the most significant and artistically vibrant poets today including Amal Al-Jubouri, Jennifer Bartlett, Jan Beatty, Reginald Dwayne Betts, Regie Cabico, Dominique Christina, Martha Collins, Nikky Finney, Ross Gay, Aracelis Girmay, Rigoberto González, Linda Hogan, Dawn Lundy Martin, Craig Santos Perez, and Ocean Vuong – plus, U.S. Poet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera at a special festival kick-off event.
Send resume, cover letter, and a brief prose (no poetry please!) writing sample of up to 2 pages to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 18 ideally. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Not able to take on a lead role but still want to volunteer? Sign up on our Volunteer List!
Volunteers are needed to help with a variety of tasks during the festival, as well as immediately prior to the festival.
Volunteers play a crucial role in helping the festival come together. We truly couldn't pull off the festival without volunteer support - so THANK YOU! Be sure to complete the volunteer form BEFORE registering for the festival so we can send you your special volunteer code to use when you register.
If you have any questions on intern or volunteer roles, please email email@example.com or call (202) 787-5210.