Poem of the Week Series
Split This Rock's Poem of the Week series publishes a contemporary poem online each week. A preview of this week's poem is in the Poem of the Week box on the right. Click on "Keep reading" to see the full poem. Click the arrows to see previews of the past four weekly poems.
All the poems Split This Rock has published in the series since 2009, along with contest winners and video from past festivals and youth programs, are now gathered in The Quarry: A Social Justice Poetry Database, searchable by social justice theme, author’s identity, state, and geographic region. Like all of Split This Rock’s programs, Poem of the Week and The Quarry are designed to bring poetry fully to the center of public life.
We encourage you to use and share these poems widely, and ask only that you credit the author and name Split This Rock’s Poem of the Week and/or The Quarry: A Social Justice Poetry Database as the source. Please also include a direct link to the database for any reproduction of poems.
Poem of the Week Submissions
Currently, we are not accepting submissions for the Poem of the Week series.
When submissions are open, we accept all poems via Submittable. We look for socially engaged poems of provocation and witness, poems on topics such as identity, community, civic engagement, politics, economics, government, war, leadership, education, activism, history, Americana, and cultural icons. We also appreciate poems that revel in the beauty, strength, and joy of our many diverse communities, that speak about our capacity for imagining the future beyond the oppressions and violences of our present order. Poems that focus on eco-justice topics, socio-economic and class issues, and transgender experiences are of particular interest.
We encourage people to share Poems of the Week widely, with proper attribution to Split This Rock & the poems' authors, so that the poems can enhance work for social justice.
Some Guidelines & Considerations
- We accept only poems that have not yet been published online. If your poem is selected and it is posted on social media, we ask that you take it down prior to publishing.
- Simultaneous submissions are OK, but please notify us immediately if the poem is accepted elsewhere.
- In terms of structure, poems with fairly short lines without complex formatting are the most compatible with our publishing and email platforms. Though there is no specific line limit, poems of no more than 25 lines tend to work best here.
- All are welcome to submit work and we are especially looking for new voices to publish.
- Please allow 2 months for a reply once you've submitted poems.
- After you have submitted once, please wait 6 months before submitting new poems.
- Please note: If we choose to include your poem as part of the series, we'll need a bit more information from you and about you so that we can properly categorize your poem within our online social justice poetry database, The Quarry. A link to a short form will be sent to you if your poem is used.
- Mailed and Emailed Submissions: Except for special circumstances we are aware of in advance, we do not accept mailed submissions. If you have a circumstance that makes it difficult for you to utilize Submittable, please contact us for instructions on how to email your submission. It is important that we know about your situation before receiving your mailed or emailed entry. Please allow sufficient time for your submission to be received.
Accessibility: If Submittable is not accessible to you, please contact us at email@example.com for instructions on how to e-mail your submission. It is important that we know about your situation before receiving your mailed or emailed entry. Please allow sufficient time for your submission to be received.