Donate to Split This Rock & Give Power to Poetry
- Sustain Split This Rock for the long haul + New Poem from Danez Smith! | A Letter from Split This Rock's Board
- Give Power to Poetry | A Letter from Split This Rock's Staff
To mail your gift:
Send a check payable to "Split This Rock" to: Split This Rock, 1301 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 600, Washington DC 20036
Header Image Description:
Split This Rock Board of Directors and Staff appear in a collage in two rows. From left to right, the top row includes: Susan Scheid, Regie Cabico, Danez Smith, Charles Doolittle, and Dwayne Lawson-Brown. From left to right, the bottom row includes: Rasha Abdulhadi, Chelsea Iorlano, Camisha Jones, and Alexandria Petrassi.
Photo Credits: Rasha Abdulhadi by Dina Abdulhadi. Camisha Jones by Brandon Woods. Alexandria Petrassi by Benjamin Renne.
Read these special messages from Split This Rock’s year-end fundraising campaign in 2019:
- Will you invest in the power of poetry this year? | A Letter from Executive Director Rasha Abdulhadi
- We're making a place together in poetry. | A Letter from Youth Programs Fellow Alexa Patrick
- There's More for Poetry to Do | A Letter from Managing Director Camisha Jones
- The Sarah Browning Travel Scholarship Fund | A Letter from Founding Director Sarah Browning
- Why I Teach Split This Rock's Poem of the Week | A Video Testimonial from Andrea Jenkins, Minneapolis City Council Vice President
Give Today & Honor a Poet's Legacy!
In celebration of Split This Rock’s first decade and to inspire support for the years to come, we have named Giving Circles in honor of poets who have inspired, supported, and helped to shape Split This Rock’s work. When you give, you build on their legacy. You can now give to honor following poets:
- Langston Hughes Circle ($10,000): Split This Rock’s name is drawn from the Hughes’ poem “Big Buddy”: Don’t you hear this hammer ring? / I’m gonna split this rock / And split it wide! / When I split this rock, / Stand by my side. Permission granted by the Langston Hughes estate.
- June Jordan Circle ($5,000+): On the 10th anniversary of Jordan's passing, Split This Rock dedicated the 2012 Festival in her memory. Her poetry, prose, and teaching continue to inspire and animate Split This Rock’s work.
- Adrienne Rich Circle ($1,000+): Moved by the vision for Split This Rock, Adrienne sent Split This Rock’s founders a powerful letter of endorsement and a check for $1,000 to support the first festival.
- Lucille Clifton Circle ($500+): One of the first poets to say “yes” to featuring at the 2008 festival, Ms. Lucille, as she's fondly known, sadly was unable to attend due to illness. Split This Rock paid tribute to her at the 2010 festival, a month after her death. In her memory, her family has made the inaugural gift to the Lucille Clifton Circle.
- Francisco X. Alarcón Circle ($250+): A faithful attendee at Split This Rock Poetry Festivals, Francisco spearheaded Poets Responding to SB 1070, often partnering with Split This Rock, and worked tirelessly for immigration justice.
- Zahara Heckscher Circle ($100+): An active member of Split This Rock’s network, Zahara invented the Poetry Game, presenting it at festivals and designating a portion of proceeds to supporting Split This Rock.
- Maxwell Corydon Wheat Jr. Circle ($1-99): After being fired as Poet Laureate of Nassau County, NY for writing poems against the Iraq War, Max was declared Poet Laureate by the community’s poets. An attendee and panelist at Split This Rock’s first festival, Max mailed $5 checks to Split This Rock every month until his death in 2016.
SPLIT THIS ROCK NAMED ONE OF DC'S BEST SMALL CHARITIES
Split This Rock is featured in the 2020-2021 Catalogue for Philanthropy as one of the best small charities in the Greater Washington region. Visit Split This Rock's page to give today! Donations given through the Catalogue portal incur the lowest transaction fees.