Communications & Development Associate -
Split This Rock cultivates, teaches, and celebrates poetry that bears witness to injustice and provokes personal and social change. It calls poets to the center of public life and fosters a national network of socially engaged poets. All of Split This Rock’s programs are designed to bring poetry of provocation and witness into public life and to support the poets who write and perform this critical work.
Founded in 2008, the organization is celebrating more than 11 years of revitalizing poetry as a living, breathing art form with profound relevance to our daily lives and struggles. Split This Rock programs include readings, open mics, workshops, poetry contests, awards, an online social justice poetry database, a Poem of the Week series, campaigns integrating poetry into movements for social change, and a robust set of youth poetry programs: afterschool workshops, slam festivals, and the award-winning DC Youth Slam Team. Our cornerstone program, Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness, is a unique biennial event featuring three days of readings, workshops, discussions, youth voices, and activism. The next Festival will be held on March 26-28, 2020 in Washington, DC.
For more information on Split This Rock, its programs, and its core values, please review our website.
The Communications and Development Associate position is a growth opportunity for a mission-driven, tech-savvy candidate eager to gain experience in key communications and nonprofit administration in a small team environment. The position will provide support to Split This Rock’s communications (30%), fundraising (30%), and administration (30%) functions. This position reports directly to the Executive Director, and works closely with program staff, primarily the Managing Director and Youth Programs Director. This position is based at Split This Rock's office in Washington, DC. We are glad to consider non-local candidates, but this is not a remote position.
In addition to a commitment to Split This Rock’s mission, successful candidates will bring the following to their work:
- Minimum two years experience working in nonprofit organization
- Experience developing effective social media, e-newsletter, and/or direct mail campaigns
- Experience with donor databases, data entry, and grant research
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs required. Familiarity with Submittable, Constant Contact, Adobe Creative Suite, or QuickBooks a plus.
- High level of organization with excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including copyediting
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated ability to balance weekly and monthly tasks with longer-term projects
- Effective interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong intercultural competency and comfort working in culturally diverse settings
- A commitment to social justice and the role that the arts play in social change
- Interest in and knowledge of contemporary American poetry preferred
Core Job Functions
- Implement organization-wide communication strategies in collaboration with program staff
- Coordinate marketing and publicity for programs, public events, actions, and fundraising campaigns
- Update website content for events and fundraising
- Manage all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube) to generate increased visibility and engagement
- Prepare content for email newsletters and Poem of the Week
- Support Executive Director in preparing fundraising campaigns, grant proposals, and reports
- Process donations, maintain donor profiles in database (Giftworks/Panorama), and ensure proper gift acknowledgement
- Assist with planning and coordination of fundraising appeals at public events
- Manage financial systems (Quickbooks) and support tax filing in coordination with Executive Director and bookkeeper
- Manage invoice payment with featured artists, contractors, and vendors
- Maintain records of receipts, invoices, contracts, expenses, and income
- Coordinate activities for fellows, interns, and volunteers
- Set up and manage ticket sales and event registration for major events, including the biennial Festival
- Prepare, pack, and unpack materials and supplies for public events.
- Maintain and stock organized supply storage for events and meetings
All staff are expected to participate in office management and support for events and meetings. These tasks include notetaking at meetings, archiving meeting agendas, maintaining public and internal calendars, responding to email/phone inquiries, and maintaining Split This Rock’s accessibility practices. Nonessential functions of this job include an ability to lift boxes or bags weighing less than 25 pounds to a height of 3-4 feet.
Access, Equity, and Inclusion
Split This Rock encourages applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, people with disabilities, nonbinary and LGBTQ+ candidates. Split This Rock is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, family duties, personal appearance, citizenship status, or any basis prohibited by federal or local laws.
Salary and Benefits
This position has a annual salary range of $38,000-42,000, based on skills and experience. Split This Rock offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance with premiums paid by employer. All full-time employees receive paid time off, including three weeks paid vacation, 10 days of paid sick leave annually, as well as all federal holidays, the day after Thanksgiving, and the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For best consideration, apply by June 30, 2019. Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications & Development Associate – [YOUR NAME]” as the subject line.
Download an Accessible Position Description
A Word version of this position description formatted for screen readers is available for download here.