Donate to Split This Rock
BIG NEWS! DOUBLE YOUR DONATION!
The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation has given Split This Rock a tremendous vote of confidence: They will match every donation from a new supporter or increased gift from an existing donor, up to $5,000.
SPLIT THIS ROCK NAMED ONE OF DC'S BEST SMALL CHARITIES
Split This Rock is featured in the 2017-2018 Catalogue for Philanthropy as one of the best small charities in the Greater Washington region. Visit Split This Rock's page to give today! Donations given through the Catalogue portal incur the lowest fees.
WHAT YOUR DONATION CAN DO
Here are just a few ways your contribution can help.
- provide refreshments for FREE bi-monthly poetry writing workshops
- cover the cost of supplies for one social justice action, such as Split This Rock's Department of Justice poem drop in support of the Black Lives Matter movement
- purchase postage to send haiku postcards that include messages from Splittistas to the POTUS
- support marketing and PR efforts to spread the word about Split This Rock events & programs nationally
- assist with the printing of chapbooks for members of the youth Writers' Guild or the DC Youth Slam Team
- help pay a stipend for a featured poet at the monthly Sunday Kind of Love Reading & Open Mic Series in partnership with Busboys and Poets
- provide support in purchasing necessary workshop materials such as name tags, markers, and easel paper
- help to hire professionals to videotape or photograph a one hour poetry event so the fabulosity can be shared nationally
- allow us to award first prize to a poem that destroys the stigma around reproductive rights through the Abortion Rights Poetry Contest
- assist us in hosting a guest poet in support of special events such as the Fall for the Book Festival at George Mason University
- provide an ASL interpreter for 2 hours, making a poetry event accessible to the deaf & hard of hearing community
- allow us to hire a work study student from a local college to support programming such as Split This Rock's Eco-Justice Anthology Project
- enable us to provide a scholarship to a team of youth poets to participate in Louder Than a Bomb DMV Teen Poetry Slam Festival
- fund first prize for an incredible socially engaged poem submitted to Split This Rock's Annual Poetry Contest
- make it possible for the DC Youth Slam Team and their coaches to participate in Brave New Voices International Youth Poetry Slam Festival and to travel around the country by helping to defray the cost of registration, travel, lodging, and food
- allow us to send a dynamic teaching artist into a DC-area school or afterschool poetry program and pay them!
- assist us in renting an accessible venue large enough for a signature event such as Split This Rock Poetry Festival or the DC Youth Slam Team Finals
- make it possible for staff to travel out of state to bring Split This Rock magic to others around the country
Every dollar given enables us to raise the platform higher for poetry that bears witness to injustice and provokes change.
The work of Split This Rock depends on a strong financial foundation. Your tax-deductible funds and support enable us to: organize a unique national biennial poetry festival, two youth poetry slam festivals, as well as other public workshops, open mics, readings, and events; foster opportunities for poets to participate in creative activism for social justice and peace; support the growth and voices of teen poets by exposing them to extraordinary adult artists as mentors; offer DC area teachers lesson plans that make poetry an engaging and relevant part of their curriculum; celebrate and award the outstanding work of poets combining poetry and activism; and provide resources that inform and inspire poets, equipping them to play an active role as public citizens.
Gifts of any size are deeply appreciated. We hope you'll consider giving $50, $100, or more. Everyone who donates will be thanked on the website. And if you’re able to give $100 or more, you’ll be thanked in the 2018 Split This Rock Festival program or other printed materials. Click the "Donate Now" heart or the heading above to give online.
Or send a check made out to “Split This Rock,” to:
Split This Rock
1301 Connecticut Ave, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
All photos by Kristin Adair, except ones with Ayinde Grimes & Hannah Halpern quotes.