Split This Rock is a grassroots effort—a people’s movement. We need everyone’s involvement to make it happen.
The work of Split This Rock depends on a strong financial foundation. Your tax-deductible funds and support enable us to: organize a unique national biennial poetry festival and other public events; foster opportunities for poets to participate in creative activism for social justice and peace; and provide resources that inform and inspire poets and equip them to play an active role as public citizens. Gifts of any size are deeply appreciated. We hope you'll consider giving $50, $100, or more. Click here for more information.
Volunteer & Internship Positions
Split This Rock offers unpaid internships and volunteer positions on an ongoing basis. In general, we always need help with publicity, outreach, programming, fundraising, accessibility planning, administration, graphic and web design, and so much more. You don't have to be a poet to fill these roles!
CURRENT INTERN NEEDS: There are three internship positions that are currently open:
- The 2016 Poetry Festival Planning Intern will play a key role in developing, planning and organizing all aspects of the Split This Rock's 2016 Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation and Witness. The festival brings together hundreds of poets, writers, and activists from around the country to Washington, DC for four days of poetry, community building, and creative transformation. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Poetry Database Intern will assist with the online publication, archiving and publicizing of poems included in Split This Rock’s Poem of the Week (POTW) series. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Eco-Justice Anthology Support Intern will assist with the compilation of an anthology of poems at the intersection of social justice and the environment. The job description can be downloaded as Word document by clicking here.
- The Communications and Social Media Intern will work in the areas of communications, marketing, strategic planning, and social media strategy. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Programs Support Intern will work in the areas of event preparation, outreach, and administrative support. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
EVENT SUPPORT: If you are interested in helping out at Split This Rock events or helping us publicize events remotely, please fill out our online form so we can add you to the list of people we can contact when needs arise. If the form is not accessible to you, please contact our office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 202-787-5210.
ONGOING VOLUNTEER NEEDS
We are in need of volunteers to work in our office and help with a variety of tasks on an ongoing basis. If you're interested in helping in any of the areas listed below, please complete this online form. Contact us directly if the form is not accessible to you at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-787-5210.
Fundraising/Events: Help plan fundraising events, write appeal letters and grant proposals, and dream up creative fundraising events and projects.
Sponsorships: Solicit donations and sponsorships from businesses (hotels, venues, transportation, restaurants) and organizations (poetry, religious, community, peace and justice).
Event Coordination: Help plan, set up, implement and clean up for one of our various events.
Publicity & Marketing: Develop ads, brochures, registration materials, t-shirt designs. Work with web and blog editors. Solicit and maintain support from various media sources.
Outreach: Help us develop and maintain relationships with schools, institutions of higher education, religious organizations, individuals and groups that focus on literary arts, theatre, activism, marginalized groups, youth etc.
National Organizing: Establish, maintain and provide resources for a national network of key contacts in other cities who help to coordinate recruitment, publicity and engagement activities where they are.
Media Relations: Work with Split This Rock’s media team to identify and cultivate free media exposure by writing press releases, making phone calls, sending out emails and staying in touch with the media.
Accessibility Planning: Work with accessibility experts to ensure our website, promotional materials and events are accessible.
Website Management: Help with keeping our website up-to-date.
Archivist/Documentation: Organize photos, videos, and documents to make them more widely available and to preserve Split This Rock's institutional memory.
Administrative Support: Help with record-keeping, maintaining databases, sending thank you notes, organizing our poetry library, filing etc.