Volunteer & Internship Positions
Split This Rock offers unpaid internships and volunteer positions on an ongoing basis. In general, we always need help with publicity, outreach, programming, fundraising, accessibility planning, administration, graphic and web design, and so much more. You don't have to be a poet to fill these roles!
SPLIT THIS ROCK POETRY FESTIVAL 2018 - LEADERSHIP ROLES!
Be a part of DC's premiere poetry event and the only festival of its kind in the country, highlighting poets working at the intersection of the imagination and social change!
Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness 2018 will gather poets, activists, and dreamers in DC for three days of readings, workshops, discussions, youth services & activism -- and YOU CAN BE AT THE HEART OF IT ALL! We are in need of people to fill the following leadership roles with a commitment of working 10-15 hours per week at our office:
- Registration Assistant: Support the festival registration process. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Volunteer Manager: Recruit, manage, and coordinate festival volunteers. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Marketing Manager: Oversee festival publicity & social media outreach. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Venue Manager: Work with festival venues to prepare for the festival. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Special Events Manager: Coordinate call to action event, open mics, festival party, and book fair. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Fundraising Intern: Support sponsorship & fundraising efforts. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
YEAR-ROUND GENERAL INTERN NEEDS!
We accept applications for general internship roles year round for the positions listed below. If you don't see a role that you're interested in, take a look at our ongoing volunteer needs. Proposals for other intern roles are also welcome!
- The Poetry Database Intern will responsible for publicizing and promoting The Quarry as a community resource and tool. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Youth Programs Intern will work in the areas of program development, event planning, mentoring, marketing, and communications. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Communications and Social Media Intern will work in the areas of communications, marketing, strategic planning, and social media strategy. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Programs Support Intern will work in the areas of event preparation, outreach, and administrative support. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Eco-Justice Anthology Support Intern will assist with the compilation of an anthology of poems at the intersection of social justice and the environment. The job description can be downloaded as Word document by clicking here. More information on the anthology can be found on the Eco-Justice Project page.
- The Fundraising Intern will assist with researching corporate and grant opportunities, prospect research, material development, event support, and data management. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Graphic Design Intern will assist with design our publications, including newsletters, program brochures, direct mail, and web graphics. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
EVENT SUPPORT: If you are interested in helping out at Split This Rock events or helping us publicize events remotely, please fill out our online form so we can add you to the list of people we can contact when needs arise. If the form is not accessible to you, please contact our office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 202-787-5210.
We are in need of volunteers to work in our office and help with a variety of tasks on an ongoing basis. If you're interested in helping in any of the areas listed below, please send a resume (or an overview of educational background and relevant work/volunteer history), a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in Split This Rock and why you would be a good fit for this position, and a brief prose writing sample (no more than two pages - no poetry please) to Tiana Trutna at email@example.com.
Fundraising/Events: Help plan fundraising events, write appeal letters and grant proposals, and dream up creative fundraising events and projects.
Sponsorships: Solicit donations and sponsorships from businesses (hotels, venues, transportation, restaurants) and organizations (poetry, religious, community, peace and justice).
Event Coordination: Help plan, set up, implement and clean up for one of our various events.
Publicity & Marketing: Develop ads, brochures, registration materials, t-shirt designs. Work with web and blog editors. Solicit and maintain support from various media sources.
Outreach: Help us develop and maintain relationships with schools, institutions of higher education, religious organizations, individuals and groups that focus on literary arts, theatre, activism, marginalized groups, youth etc.
National Organizing: Establish, maintain and provide resources for a national network of key contacts in other cities who help to coordinate recruitment, publicity and engagement activities where they are.
Media Relations: Work with Split This Rock’s media team to identify and cultivate free media exposure by writing press releases, making phone calls, sending out emails and staying in touch with the media.
Accessibility Planning: Work with accessibility experts to ensure our website, promotional materials and events are accessible.
Website Management: Help with keeping our website up-to-date.
Archivist/Documentation: Organize photos, videos, and documents to make them more widely available and to preserve Split This Rock's institutional memory.
Administrative Support: Help with record-keeping, maintaining databases, sending thank you notes, organizing our poetry library, filing etc.