Split This Rock is a grassroots effort—a people’s movement. We need everyone’s involvement to make it happen.
The work of Split This Rock depends on a strong financial foundation. Your tax-deductible funds and support enable us to: organize a unique national biennial poetry festival and other public events; foster opportunities for poets to participate in creative activism for social justice and peace; and provide resources that inform and inspire poets and equip them to play an active role as public citizens. Gifts of any size are deeply appreciated. We hope you'll consider giving $50, $100, or more. Click here for more information.
Volunteer & Internship Positions
Split This Rock offers unpaid internships and volunteer positions on an ongoing basis. In general, we always need help with publicity, outreach, programming, fundraising, accessibility planning, administration, graphic and web design, and so much more. You don't have to be a poet to fill these roles!
INTERN NEEDS: If you are interested in an internship, please feel free to send in your information. Additionally, if you don't see a role that you're interested in, take a look at our ongoing volunteer needs. Proposals for other intern roles are welcomed!
- The Poetry Database Intern will responsible for publicizing and promoting The Quarry as a community resource and tool. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here. This internship is currently filled -- but we continue to welcome applicants.
- The Youth Programs Intern will work in the areas of program development, event planning, mentoring, marketing, and communications. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Communications and Social Media Intern will work in the areas of communications, marketing, strategic planning, and social media strategy. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Programs Support Intern will work in the areas of event preparation, outreach, and administrative support. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
- The Eco-Justice Anthology Support Intern will assist with the compilation of an anthology of poems at the intersection of social justice and the environment. The job description can be downloaded as Word document by clicking here. More information on the anthology can be found on the Eco-Justice Project page. This internship is currently filled -- but we continue to welcome applicants.
- The Fundraising Intern will assist with researching corporate and grant opportunities, prospect research, material development, event support, and data management. The job description can be downloaded as a Word document by clicking here.
EVENT SUPPORT: If you are interested in helping out at Split This Rock events or helping us publicize events remotely, please fill out our online form so we can add you to the list of people we can contact when needs arise. If the form is not accessible to you, please contact our office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 202-787-5210.
We are in need of volunteers to work in our office and help with a variety of tasks on an ongoing basis. If you're interested in helping in any of the areas listed below, please send a resume (or an overview of educational background and relevant work/volunteer history), a thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in Split This Rock and why you would be a good fit for this position, and a brief prose writing sample (no more than two pages - no poetry please) to Tiana Trutna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising/Events: Help plan fundraising events, write appeal letters and grant proposals, and dream up creative fundraising events and projects.
Sponsorships: Solicit donations and sponsorships from businesses (hotels, venues, transportation, restaurants) and organizations (poetry, religious, community, peace and justice).
Event Coordination: Help plan, set up, implement and clean up for one of our various events.
Publicity & Marketing: Develop ads, brochures, registration materials, t-shirt designs. Work with web and blog editors. Solicit and maintain support from various media sources.
Outreach: Help us develop and maintain relationships with schools, institutions of higher education, religious organizations, individuals and groups that focus on literary arts, theatre, activism, marginalized groups, youth etc.
National Organizing: Establish, maintain and provide resources for a national network of key contacts in other cities who help to coordinate recruitment, publicity and engagement activities where they are.
Media Relations: Work with Split This Rock’s media team to identify and cultivate free media exposure by writing press releases, making phone calls, sending out emails and staying in touch with the media.
Accessibility Planning: Work with accessibility experts to ensure our website, promotional materials and events are accessible.
Website Management: Help with keeping our website up-to-date.
Archivist/Documentation: Organize photos, videos, and documents to make them more widely available and to preserve Split This Rock's institutional memory.
Administrative Support: Help with record-keeping, maintaining databases, sending thank you notes, organizing our poetry library, filing etc.