Be a part of DC's premiere poetry event and the only festival of its kind in the country, highlighting poets working at the intersection of the imagination and social change!
Split This Rock Poetry Festival: Poems of Provocation & Witness 2018 (April 19-21, 2018) will gather poets, activists, and dreamers in DC for three days of readings, workshops, discussions, youth services & activism -- and YOU CAN BE AT THE HEART OF IT ALL! We are in need of people to fill leadership roles and to help with tasks immediately prior to and during the festival (scroll down for that info).
We are looking for interns to volunteer 10-15 hours per week at our office beginning this fall to fill the following festival leadership roles:
- Volunteer Manager: Offer leadership in Recruiting, managing, and coordinating festival volunteers. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Marketing Manager: Oversee festival publicity & social media outreach. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Venue Manager: Work with festival venues to prepare for the festival. Position is needed most in the spring (March 2018 until the end of the festival). Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Special Events Manager: Coordinate call to action event, open mics, festival party, and book fair. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
- Fundraising Intern: Support sponsorship & fundraising efforts. Read more by downloading the job description as a Word document.
While all internships are unpaid, all interns receive:
- Free festival registration!
- Free festival t-shirt!
- Priceless work experience!
Exposure to some of the most significant and artistically vibrant poets today including Elizabeth Acevedo, Kazim Ali, Ellen Bass, Sherwin Bitsui, Kwame Dawes, Camille Dungy, Ilya Kaminsky, Sonia Sanchez, Solmaz Sharif, Terisa Siagatonu, Paul Tran, Javier Zamora!
Send resume, cover letter, and a brief prose (no poetry please!) writing sample of up to 2 pages to Emma Bartley at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
Not able to take on a lead role but still want to volunteer? Sign up online to be a Festival Volunteer!
We'll need lots of help with a variety of tasks both during the festival and in the weeks leading up to it. We truly couldn't pull off the festival without the vital support of volunteers so we THANK YOU in advance! Volunteers who serve 5 or more hours receive a free festival t-shirt and registration.
If you have any questions on intern or volunteer roles, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 787-5210.